>>> [log in to unmask] 03/19/01 05:00 >>>

>Slightly off the original subject Marten, but should you be aspirating large
>pneumothoraces? I find large pneumothoraces inevitably indicate large >leaks, so aspiration is doomed to failure, especially where there is a short
>history i.e. the leak has not had time to seal off/heal and therefore
>re-leaks as soon as the lung re-expands. I reserve aspiration for smaller
>(30% or less) pneumothoraces or those with a longer history (but large ones
>usually present early!).

>Adrian Fogarty

Adrian,
            Ive been aspirating large pneumothoracies for several years now - after some anecdotal experience of success. Of the 40 or so Ive done or supervised in that time about 30 - 40% of the complete collapses will reinflate to only a small rim of air or almost fully re-inflated and hold it on a 6 hour x-ray. Having being on the receiving end of a chest drain - I think anything we can do to safely avoid a chest drain should be attempted. It may not be BTS - but I dont believe patient safety is being compromised by this approach.

Craig Ellis

CCH Secure Mail Server

[INFO] -- Virus Manager:
No Viruses were detected in this message.

CCH Secure Mail Server
This email or attachment(s) may contain confidential or legally privileged information intended for the sole use of the addressee(s). Any use, redistribution, disclosure, or reproduction of this message, except as intended, is prohibited. If you received this email in error, please notify the sender and remove all copies of the message, including any attachments. Any views or opinions expressed in this email (unless otherwise stated) may not represent those of Capital Coast Health Ltd. (AC_S001)