In the last hospital I worked in ,  in Australia,  first line drug for
fitters was midazolam. It seemed the ideal drug, very fast working,  so you
can titrate it to effect with less timelag /overkill.    Another advantage
is that it  wears off more quickly so that a patient can be assessed alert
with less of that diazemuls/lorazepam twilight zone,  where you are
wondering whether this is  post-ictal, effect, benzos or head injury.
I have not found overdosage and consequent respiratory problems to be an
issue.

Paul Ransom