We have switched to lorazepam followed by a further dose followed by phenytoin infusion. If that does not stop the fitting general
anaesthesia is indicated.

Thiopentone is no longer a good choice, and propofol is much better. I don't understand Adrian Fogerty's concerns about oxygenation
in GA; with RSI paralysis it is the optimum method for gaining control of the airway. There is a case for simply giving suxamethonium as
the patient is unconscious from the fit and also from the benzodiazepine already given.

Exasperatingly, the paediatricians seem wedded to rectal paraldehyde, which is ghastly and stinks department out for hours and  patient
out for days.

Best wishes,

Rowley Cottingham