The issue is that some of these effects are not obvious in the pre-approval
process in spite of thousands of patients participating in trials.  These
trials are powered for efficacy and rare side effects may not be apparent
until the agent is used widely.  Remember that the oral hypoglycemic agents
were associated with increased mortality in the university group study in
the 70s but people continued to use them (the trial had some problems) and
the controversy continues (in spite of UKPDS, another less than good RCT).
I remember that in September of 1998 Michael Berger suggested that
sulfonylureas should not be used outside of clinical trials!!  So here we
are, using them, using glitazones, and apparently not causing much harm.

Clinicians operate in some areas with very little evidence to guide them
(clinical paralysis is a bad side effect of misinterpreted EBM).  Waiting
for evidence to become available before using a drug or a new technology
remains the best strategy, but historically this has only been possible and
pertinent with a few drugs (beta blockers for heart failure, alendronate for
osteoporosis) and not with many others (aspirin, digoxin) and I think the
main reason has been the FDA approval process forcing trials to be conducted
before launching of meds into the market.  Anyone knows the ratio of
approved to rejected drugs?

By the way, a person that has been part of a panel in the FDA once told me
that the evidence available for FDA scrutiny is orders of magnitude larger
than that released to the medical community in publications (I am not
talking here about plain and simple publication bias) - is there some
loophole in the industrial secret protection legislation that will allow
this federal agency to publish their own analyses of drug data to public
domain?  Any thoughts?

Victor