A nice sonnet. I think myself, despite Reed Dasenbroek's PMLA essay (also
in his book on Petrarchism and England), that the best parallel between
Spenser's deer poem and any other is with a poem by Marguerite de
Navarre. See my essay on Spenser's deer poem in Spenser Studies vol. 6,
which has some references to earlier work (there's a condensed version in
the Norton Spenser, but it's of less use). One of those references, and a
woman with better neurons above the eyebrows would remember it--I don't
have a copy of my own essay with me--is to a whole volume on Spenser's
sources, especially Tasso, by somebody I remember as Kostic; the book was,
as I recall, published in eastern Europe. Anyway, his book is good on
Tasso and Spenser. Dasenbroek may give a translation of the sonnet in
question. But intellectually Marguerite's is closer. Hers, together with a
religious lyric by St. John of the Cross, is the only other poem I can
find in which the deer comes to you after you give up. And Marguerite also
has the wearied hunter resting near water. I like the poem because
although about Christ and not a girl it makes a similar point: working and
forcing don't have as much effect as letting love come to you. Neither God
nor young ladies like to be bullied or hectored. Marguerite's own point is
a pretty risky quasi-"Lutheran" denial of good works as a way to
Christ. To be sure, in spite of my own conviction that Spenser had read
the very popular Marguerite, he also knew Tasso well. Anne Prescott.