The two stories are about the same system of technological control by the
A.B.C..   With the Night Mail seems to have been written first. Kipling
starts  a fascinating theme of the  rejection of democracy by a world which
settles for  subservience to  an unaccountable control body, and then ,
characteristically, gets so interested in the technical details of the
dirigibles which  provide the control and the  social detail of the society
which uses them that he loses sight of the  key theme  and does not develop
it!   Marvellous entertainment, but  a lost opportunity in my view. Note also
that  his advertisements for  the technical marvels are couched in the
language of the Illustrated London News of 1890!  His social  imagination
could not keep up with his technical.  It is unfair to  read too much into a
tiny fragment of his work, but I do think that those two stories do
exemplify a key limitation  of his earlier work.   ''The Ship that Found
Itself ' is a marvellous story, but  is it not just a little overloaded?
( My admiration for him is such that  I feel he should  be judged by the
highest standards one can apply,   The criticism of his 'knowingness' was
made early by critics  who hated him for quite other reasons, but I feel it
must  be taken account of  and not dismissed as  prejudice.)

JW