From: Andrew P. KING(SED) [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, 8 February 2001 4:49 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Coding Help

Hi All

I wonder if anyone could furnish me with details of publication (whatever
format) that give good
practical common sense examples of the different levels of coding - starting
form sitting down with
a transcript. I am ready to start coding, but would like to see examples of
the movement through
the data (interview transcripts) and associated coding.
An example of my confusion is the need to code initially at the open level
and allow concepts to
emerge, which can then be grouped into categories, yet not do it in a
staccato manner - i.e. not
open code first, then try to group under categories. This conflict has
arisen form my study of The
Basics of Qualitative Research (Strauss & Corbin, 1998).

Thanks in advance to any respondents

Andrew King / Andrew Knight
PhD Student
Sheffield Hallam University