Hi all,

If you are looking for a study on observational assessment of the foot in particular, we have two papers evaluating the reliability of each (not too good, I am sad to report).

The first was looking at reliability of foot motion using video
Keenan, A.M. and Bach, T.M. (1996). "Video assessment of rearfoot motion during walking- a reliability study". Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, 77 (7): 651 - 655.

The second look at combining clinical measures with observational real-time assessment:
Keenan, A.M. and Bach, T.M. in review  "Clinicians assessment of the rearfoot:  a reliability study".

I think that the take home message from these studies is that assessment of foot motion during gait is difficult and must be undertaken in consideration of general clinical decision making.  It is not sensitive enough to use in isolation.

Kind regards

amk

Anne-Maree Keenan
B.App.Sc.(Pod)., M.App.Sc.
Senior Lecturer and Podiatry Course Co-ordinator

Mailing Address:
School of Exercise and Health Sciences
University of Western Sydney
Locked Bag 1797