I'd love to know the address for the "provisional Panormia website...?
TGD

>>> [log in to unmask] 02/09/01 11:05AM >>>
This does not directly relate to relics, but Ivo of Chartres' Panormia, 2.20 does
deal with the movement of an altar. The text is also at his Decretum 3.13. Bruce
Brasington. (Edition of the former available at our provisional Panormia
website.)

[log in to unmask] wrote:

> > Can any member of the list advise me at which Council it was that it was
> > decreed
> > that altars had to contain relics, as I have been unable to trace it?
> > I have tried The Oxford Dictionary of the Christian Church and the Catholic
> > Encyclopaedia but found only that the English Synod of Chalcut decreed in
> > canon 22 that where relics could not
> > be found consecrated Hosts could be used and that it became the rule not to
> > dedicate a church without relics in the altar.
>
> Dear John,
> I'm not sure if it deals with altars at that early a period,
> but you might find something in Julian Gardner, 'Altars, Altarpieces,
> and Art History: Legislation and Usage', in Eve Borsook and Fiorella
> Superbi Gioffredi (eds), Italian Altarpieces 1250-1550 (Oxford,
> 1994), pp. 5-40.
> Cheers,
> Jim Bugslag
> PS. It was splendid to meet you last summer in Bristol!

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]