The University of Padua had english students, but ideally you need more than 'fascinating similarities'.  Paraphrases, or arguments and examples which follow the same sequence, would help to establish whether Hobbes or Locke had direct knowledge of a text.  Good Luck-  I've tried a similar thing myself in the past, but its tricky stuff.

Laura
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: [log in to unmask]
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Tuesday, February 13, 2001 2:07 PM
  Subject: Casting the net wide enough

  To the list:

  I am in need of some help, and while this request may not fall completely
  under the purview of this list, I am trying a number of lists to see if I can
  find someone to give me a hand.

  I am working on a paper for my graduate studies regarding Marsilius De Padua,
  essentially doing a close reading of the first discourse of the Defensor
  Pacis.  My question is this:  Is there any evidence that folks like Locke and
  Hobbes read this work?  There are some fascinating similarities in some of
  the ideas presented, and I am wondering whether there might be a connection.
  If anyone can point me in the right direction, I would be appreciative.

  Ken A. Grant
  South Bend, IN