From:   Dennis Martin [SMTP:[log in to unmask]]
Sent:   Thursday, February 08, 2001 1:49 PM
To:     [log in to unmask]
Subject:        Re: "Tridentine" & "Triduum"

Tridentine comes from the Latin form of Trent/Trient, i.e., the Council of Trent, 1545-1563.  The "tridentine Church" or "rite" is an informal use of the Council of Trent's legislation to demarcate the early modern and modern character of the Catholic Church, when international uniformity (e.g., in liturgy) corresponded to the rise of natiionalism and the resultant pressure for national (i.e., no longer catholic, meaning universal).

Triduum means "three days" and refers to the holiest time of the Christian year, from Holy Thursday through Easter Sunday.

Dennis Martin

>>> [log in to unmask] 02/08/01 07:43AM >>>
Hail numerology afficionados. I have a pair of questions related to the
number 3, viz.,

I have seen references in a number of messages in this list to "Tridentine"
(e.g., the "post-Tridentine church", the "pre-Tridentine world," &c.  Also
to the "Triduum" (the latter in the context of the liturgical calendar,
esp. Passover, Easter and the Annunciation).  These are both terms beyond
my ken, and none of my sources, alas, explain their meaning.  Would some
kind soul(s) enlighten me?

--Christopher