Marjorie Greene <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I pointed out that, to my knowledge, abbots carried croziers and wore mitres,
and were frequently depicted thus attired.

sorry, i missed the part about abbots wearing mitres (or any other sort
of headgear, beyond their tonsures or/and the occasional cowl.

croziers, yes, but mitres?

maybe i misunderstand the meaning of the word --funny sort of double pointed
hat, is it not?   worn by bishops --exclusively, n-est-pas?-- including the
bishop of Rome.  but not abbots generally, unless the
fellow also happened to be a bishop...

best from here,

christopher