This discussion has provided a lot of interesting points on a topic I should know more about. But I'm still wondering, if that is an appropriate descriptor, what these cathedralized monks did with their days and nights--did they follow the Rule in a manner similar to other Benedictines on the continent, did they have extra responsibilities for as Jim B put it, the "care of souls of the bishopric" or town?  Didn't  the towns like Canterbury or Ely have priests to do cathedral business, or did the monks hold monastic ceremonies on the great feast days without incorporating the populace?

With regards for your thoughts on this, L