Dominic of Sora, praying in his mountain hermitage, beheld a column of light.
References to the vitae are listed in John Howe, _Church Reform and Social
Change...Dominic of Sora..._, p. 47.

If one wanted an etiological explanation for such incidents, one might
infer that
the aurora borealis was seen in an unaccustomed latitude and interpreted as
having (super)cosmic significance.

                                                 --John Howe, Texas Tech

At 04:42 PM 2/20/01 +0000, you wrote:
>medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture
>
>Dear all,
>
>In HE III.xi, Bede relates the story of a column of light seen over Oswald's
>relics, plainly visible almost everywhere in that part of the world (`Nam
>tota ea nocte columna lucis a carro illo ad caelum usque porrecta, omnibus
>pene eiusdem Lindissae provinciae locis conspicua stabat').
>
>I know of Adomnán's similar reference to lights seen above the grave of
>Colum Cille, but is the idea of a _column_ of light above a saint's grave or
>relics widespread?
>
>Regards,
>
>Paul
>
>M.P. Bryant-Quinn
>Canolfan Uwchefrydiau Cymreig a Cheltaidd
>Aberystwyth

>To join the list, send the message: join medieval-religion YOUR NAME
>to: [log in to unmask]
>To send a message to the list, address it to:
>To leave the list, send the message: leave medieval-religion
>to: [log in to unmask]
>In order to report problems or to contact the list's owners, write to:
>For further information, visit our web site:
>http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/medieval-religion.html

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]