A bit of a strained (?) link here, but the role of consent gets especially
interesting in the idea of consensual subjection to a rule (= propositum),
especially with confraternities (sometimes lay, maybe often 'lay') in the
latter 'half' of the MA. This gets really interesting when we think about the
role of the middle/professional classes of n. Italy and just how society was
changing from 1250+, and how they saw their own position. Not my work, but Jim
Powell's on Albertanus of Brescia (passim, but maybe especially chapters 5 and
3?). And this, in turn, leaves the rest of Europe in the dog-house.

Consensual subjection to a rule is a whopper, especially where it concerns
civilians (and I mean that last word QUITE literally). And what do the
Franciscans have to say anyway?

Angus Graham, Muscat

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]