Here's the response of one expert (Joseph C. Harris):

you're right to be skeptical, but as far as I know, students of Icelandic
history still take this custom (which is widely attested, not only in this
one saga) as true of the pre-Christian period. It's Laxdaela saga (no,
's); the -a is genitive plural: "story of the people of salmon (lax=lox
without bagels) [river] dale"---Ah, here's a better reference (from vol. 5
of the Complete Sagas of the Icelanders, 1997, the "reference section"):
"sprinkled with water vatni ausinn: Even before the arrival of
Christianity, the Scandinavians practised a naming ceremony clearly
similar to that involved in the modern-day 'christening.' This ceremony is
mentioned in early poems like Rigsthula ... and Havamal ... The action of
sprinkling the child with water and naming it meant that the child was
brought into society . . . after this action had taken place, a child
could not be taken out to die of exposure ..."

I hope this helps.

A. K. Harris
Georgia State University