From: "Christopher M. Mislow" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Thursday, February 08, 2001 9:41 PM
Subject: "Triduum" [was "Tridentine" & "Triduum"]

Thank-you all who came to my rescue.  Alas, however, at the risk of seeming
ungrateful, I now have three (an appropriate number) conflicting
definitions, viz., [1] Maundy Thursday through Easter Sunday (which
encompasses 4 rather than 3 days), [2] Good Friday through Easter Sunday,
and [3] Maundy Thursday through Holy Saturday.  Since the last of these
definitions has the imprimatur of the _Oxford Dictionary of the Christian
Church_, I suppose that credential would give it the upper hand.
Nevertheless, I am confused.  Help!

--Christopher

== original message from <[log in to unmask]> ==
>> I have seen references in a number of messages in this list ...
>> to the "Triduum" (the latter in the context of the liturgical calendar,
>> esp. Passover, Easter and the Annunciation).  These are both terms
beyond
>> my ken, and none of my sources, alas, explain their meaning.  Would some
>> kind soul(s) enlighten me?

== Reply from Dennis Martin <[log in to unmask]> ==
>> Triduum means "three days" and refers to the holiest time of the
>> Christian year, from Holy Thursday through Easter Sunday.

== Reply from M. Paul Bryant-Quinn <[log in to unmask]> ==
>> `Triduum' refers to the three days of a particular feast celebrated,
usually
>> with reference to the period from Good Friday to Easter Sunday.

== Reply from John Hall <[log in to unmask]> ==
>> The Oxford Dictionary of the Christian Church (usually a good starting
>> point) entry reads:
>> Triduum Sacrum (Lat., 'the sacred three days').  The three concluding
days
>> of Holy Week commemorating the Last Supper, Passion, and Death of
Christ,