 I liked what little I'd
> read by Pseudo-Dionysius (in particular, his _Mystica Theologia_), so, perhaps
> I should have said, "ALAS, who has "thoroughly debunked" Panofsky's
> assertion?"? So yes, I was expressing dismay and disappointment.
> Once again, sorry.
> Cheers
> Duc Thi DeBurg Dau

G'day.  I have little Australian so didn't understand the nature of
your earlier laconic message.  Two of the principal debunkers are:
Peter Kidson, "Panofsky, Suger and St. Denis," Journal of the
Warburg and Courtauld Institutes, L (1987), 1-17, and
Conrad Rudolph, Artistic Change at Saint-Denis (no publishing details
currently available, sorry).  I haven't read Lindy Grant's recent
biography of Suger, but I'm sure there, as well, a picture will
emerg, as from other recent sources, of an extremely capable
administrator and very important patron of the arts, but with only
limited theological interests.  Rather, he relied on others for much
of the remarkable iconography in the stained glass and sculpture he
commissioned for his new abbey church.  This is not to say that there
was no interest in the writings of the Pseudo-Dionysius, but only
that Suger was not as knowledgeable about them as was previously
thought.
Cheers,
Jim Bugslag