The blood taboos is deeply rooted in the Judeo-Christian tradition, and it
helps explain the prohibitions of clerical involvement in military
bloodshed & capital punishment.  Back in the 1970's, Sally Scully wrote a
dissertation under Sam Thorne (Harvard) on the prohibition of bloodshed by
clerics in the canon law.  Of course, the practice of turning over relapsed
heretics to the "secular arm" combined the prohibition on shedding blood
with the employment of indirect means of coercion.  The idea of the 2
swords, spiritual and temporal, as expounded by the canonists is based on
the same taboo.

Tom Izbicki

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]