At 07:56 AM 2/5/01 -0800, you wrote:

>On a tangent, the origin of the mitre is allegedly the
>Greek cap worn by champion athletes. I find this very
>unconvincing and would like any other opinions on this
>subject, should anyone care to offer one.   --MG

More fun is the contention that this was originally a horse head helmet,
abstracted into the Phrygian bonnet, adopted at the Byzantine court as part
of the general Roman assimilation of Persian ceremonial, and subsequently
left to the courtly ecclesiastics who tend to be very conservative about
their traditional costumes.  ... and you thought your explanation sounded
suspicious!
                                         --John Howe, Texas Tech