At 10:09 AM 2/20/01 -1000, you wrote:
>medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture
>
>     The theology of the Eighth Day/Eighth Age is definitely in Bede's
>writings and I would guess therefore that it goes back into the church
>fathers (Jerome? Augustine?).

it goes back to augustine, who does a detailed job on the idea in the final
books of the de civ. dei.  among other things it is part of his
anti-millennialism which aimed at getting people to stop thinking in terms
of six days/ages/millennia of earthly travail and a seventh of perfect
peace in this world (see his exegesis of Ps. 89).

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]