Here in Cambridgeshire, we are examining the collection of our management
information in the light of the imminent publication of the Public Library
Standards.

One area where we experience particular difficulty is in the collection of
the numbers of library visitors.  Where our libraries have modern security
systems, we have an automated way of collecting this information.  However,
for the most part, we are collecting a sample of visitor figures on a
quarterly basis.

I would be very interested in the approach of other authorities and would
particularly appreciate information about reliable portable counters.

On a related matter, we know that we are unlikely to meet this particular
standard and are therefore looking at innovative ways of encouraging
increased usage by both existing and non-users.  Are any other authorities
planning any PR-related activities to increase their performance in
relation to this Performance Indicator?

Thanks in anticipation,

Ciara Eastell
Service and Financial Planning Manager