One of our tram/railways was fully surveyed in the 70s the whole route has a single number with individual components having separate numbers. Different lengths of the route also have separate numbers, as do branch and additional lines. With other railways I give an individual number to a route based (usually) on the date of opening. All stations (more complex than it might seem) and  (most ) tunnels have a separate number but other structure tend only to be numbered if they are listed, under threat or someone has surveyed photographed them.
Roads (Roman and any which no longer exist) are usually given a single number with any well preserved lengths or excavated sections having separate numbers. One Roman Road was numbered twice one at the north one at the south!
I am tempted to add some modern trunk roads (the M4 M5 Junction and the 1st Severn crossing (listed) and Aust Service motorport are on) but have not quite done it.

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it from South
Gloucestershire Council are confidential and intended
solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they
are addressed. If you have received this email in error
please notify the South Gloucestershire Council postmaster
 at the address below.

This footnote also confirms that this email message has
been swept for the presence of computer viruses.