Just to add my twopennyworth to this one. I don't know how Exegesis works
but on our system anyway we are getting rid of all the sub-numbers and have
adopted a parent / child system instead.  This entails giving a record a
'parent' where appropriate - it can be any other record.  It allows much
more flexible linking between any records.  Any record can have any number
of children (and if necessary grandchildren).  Relationships can also be
changed if need be later without the need to renumber.  From the parent
record it is possible to 'Find children' which brings up a filtered set.
From a child record it is possible to click to go to the parent.

For example, the Wade Road across the Corrieyairack Pass from Laggan to Fort
Augustus has one 'parent' number, used for all general information about the
road as a whole.  However, the road is scheduled in several sections, and
some of the bridges are listed. Users might wish to access any of these
features individually, so each of these forms a 'child' record. A few years
ago we commissioned a couple of surveys which identified a large number of
individual minor engineering features such as culverts, etc.  Eventually I
would hope to accession each of these as a separate grand-child record (i.e.
children of the scheduled monument section records). The NMRS have however
divided the Corrieyairack Pass up in a different way, so I have linked all
their records to the parent. We have used the same approach with the
Caledonian Canal.  Find-spots can be tied in.  Note however that each record
can only have one parent!

This seems to work pretty well.  I would however like to store all our
records on the GIS as polygons rather than as point data.  At the moment
linear records have to be given a grid ref so I have used a convention of
the south/western end for each section. At the moment we only have the
listed buildings (and a few scheduled areas) as polygons but one day...

I hope this is of some interest...  it's how we've tackled the problem
anyway.

John

John Wood
Senior Archaeologist
Planning and Development Service
The Highland Council
Glenurquhart Road
Inverness IV3 5NX
Tel: 01463 702502 Fax: 01463 702298
Email: [log in to unmask]
Web: <http://www.higharch.demon.co.uk>

This Email (and any attachment) is intended for the exclusive use of the
addressee(s) only. You should not disclose its contents to any other
person. If you receive this message in error, please contact the sender
and delete the message. Thank you
Opinions expressed herein are my own and do not necessarily represent
those of my employer.