Subject:                First Ever Evidence Based Librarianship Conference
Copies to:              [log in to unmask]

This message is being sent to lis-medical, evidence-based-libraries
and MLAEBLIC. Please forward to other interested discussion lists
as
appropriate.

PRELIMINARY ANNOUNCEMENT

First Evidence Based Librarianship Conference
3rd-4th September 2001, Sheffield, UK.

* Can the methods of evidence based practice be applied to our
own library and information profession?
* How can we critically appraise the health information research
literature? * Is the evidence base of librarianship of good enough
quality to sustain evidence based practice? * What are the obstacles
to our becoming an evidence based profession? * How can
evidence based
librarianship increase our professional impact?

These are just some of the questions that librarians have been
asking since they have become involved in supporting evidence
based practice in their own organisations. Now there is a forum to
'focus' these questions, to seek answers and a way forward. This
timely conference follows articles in the Bulletin of the MLA, Medical
Reference Services Quarterly and Health Libraries Review [Now Health
Information and Libraries Journal] and presentations at ICML London,
MLA and LIANZA (New Zealand) all of which took place in 2000. The
authors and contributors to all these sessions have been assembled for
this first ever Evidence Based Librarianship Conference.

The First Evidence Based Librarianship Conference will be held in
Sheffield UK, the gateway to the Peak District, on 3rd and 4th
September 2001. It will be hosted in Halls of Residence at the
University of Sheffield and will include one overnight stay. It is
hoped to keep expenses down so that it will amount to a little more
than the cost of a national study day.

Speakers will include:
Jon Eldredge, University of New Mexico
Veronica Fraser, NHS Libraries Adviser
Margaret Haines, Director of Research and Knowledge
Management, NHS South East
Anne Brice, Assistant Director, HCLU, Oxford Region
Andrew Booth, Senior Lecturer in Evidence Based Health Care
Information, ScHARR, University of Sheffield.

What do I need to do:
1. Block September 3rd and 4th 2001 into your diaries.
2. To be placed on our preferential mailing list please email your
details to [log in to unmask] You will then receive further
details of the conference as they become available. 3. Look out for an
Invitation to Submit Abstracts - to appear in April 2001. We are keen
to have discussion papers or research projects that have built on the
existing knowledge base. 4. Look out for the Conference Registration
details - to appear in May 2001. 5. If you have any suggestions for
inclusion in the conference please email [log in to unmask],
Chair of the Programme Organising Committee as soon as possible.

Andrew Booth BA MSc Dip Lib ALA
Director of Information Resources and
Senior Lecturer - Evidence Based Healthcare Information.
School of Health & Related Research (ScHARR)
Regent Court
30 Regent Street
SHEFFIELD
S1 4DA
Tel: 0114 222 5420 or 5214 Fax: 0114 272 4095
The author of Netting the Evidence:
http://www.shef.ac.uk/~scharr/ir/netting.html
and Trawling the Net:
http://www.shef.ac.uk/~scharr/ir/trawling.html