You may find some useful materials to help you decide at:

http://www.shef.ac.uk/~scharr/triage/index/refman.htm

We use Reference Manager becuase it is more biomedical
oriented than other programmes - or at least it was when we made
the decision five years ago!

Andrew

> Nicola,
>
> I've used Reference Manager 9.5 for a while and it is quite capable
> for your purpose. I also know that my colleagues had used ProCite with
> a comparable level of satisfaction, and -as far as I know- story is
> the same for EndNote.
>
> The interesting point about these three softwares is that all come
> from a single company, therefore they basically should have very
> similar capabilities. I guess the choice among them will be based on
> their availability.
>
> Hope it is helpful
> Arash
> --
> Arash Rashidian, MD
> Health Services Research Scholar
> Department of Health Sciences and Clinical Evaluation
> Alcuin College, University of York
> York, YO10 5DD, UK
> Tel: +44 (0)1904 434498
> Mob: +44 (0)7870466148
> Fax: +44 (0)1904 434517
> email:  [log in to unmask]
>
> Nicola Innes wrote:
> >
> > Please could someone recommend a reference manager that they have
> > found to be useful. I will be using it mainly for managing papers
> > and writing up my PhD so one that eventually allows references to be
> > transferred straight into text (e.g. Word) would be ideal. Thanks
> > for your help Nicola
> >
> > Nicola P T Innes BDS, BMSc, BSc
> > CSO Research Training Fellow
> > Dundee Dental Hospital and School
> > E-mail: [log in to unmask]

Andrew Booth BA MSc Dip Lib ALA
Director of Information Resources and
Senior Lecturer - Evidence Based Healthcare Information.
School of Health & Related Research (ScHARR)
Regent Court
30 Regent Street
SHEFFIELD
S1 4DA
Tel: 0114 222 5420 or 5214 Fax: 0114 272 4095
The author of Netting the Evidence:
http://www.shef.ac.uk/~scharr/ir/netting.html
and Trawling the Net:
http://www.shef.ac.uk/~scharr/ir/trawling.html