From: <[log in to unmask]>

Since January, the literary journal "Literaturnyj Kyrgyzstan" has an on-line
version. The first issue was put out "on sheer enthusiasm." SOROS has
promised funding if the site is visited by 1000 people. Please make an
effort
to support this fine journal (they have been unable to put out frequent
"paper" versions due to lack of funding).

I think we should not forget that LK was one of the first journals to touch
the delicate nationalities question in the early years of perestroika
(despite repressions from the still communist powers, they published a whole
series on the policy of exiling various nationalities to Kyrgyzstan). It was
singled out in 1986 on the All-Union Seminar of Literary Journals for their
daring publications, which came at a time when such themes were not really
touched by journals outside the capitals. These and other "risky"
publications were the reasons that their membership surged to 55,000 in
those
years.  Now, like for many other journals, subsidies have been cut and their
further existence is threatened. Please make an effort to frequent their
site:

http://lk.kyrnet.kg

Thank you,
Christina Sperrle