on 15/2/01 3:13 pm, Dr John Carman at [log in to unmask] wrote:

> Am I the only person concerned that WAC appears to be abandoning one of its
> principles in holding the next Congress in the USA?

Dear John,

    I appreciate your concern about WAC and its future development, but
don't forget that the first WAC was in Southampton!  As I understand it,
WACs commitment is not to have all of its congresses outside of the first
world, but to alternate between different parts of the world, with different
economic and cultural circumstances.  Taking WAC to India or Venezuela was a
great thing to do, but I think that it's equally important to create the
conditions under which participants from all over the world can attend WAC
in Washington.  And I have no doubt that a great deal of effort will be
expended in making sure that that will be the case.

Julian Thomas

Julian Thomas,
Professor of Archaeology,
School of Art History and Archaeology,