At 10:00 PM +1100 2/26/01, Hannah Forsyth wrote:
>I find it interesting that in australia we are considered to be 'outside the
>first world'. Certainly not insulted or anything, but we don't think of
>ourselves that way. I would actually like to hear how
>outside-the-australian-world-ers think of us...

Not outside the first world, certainly. But you must understand that our
perceptions are influenced strongly by Mad Max and Crocodile Dundee with a
big helping of National Geographic mixed in, then seasoned with Priscilla:
Queen of the Desert. When most Americans think of Australia, they think of
kangaroos and Ayers Rock. A few have a mental image of the Sidney Opera
House. That's about it. Australians are like Texans, only with a funny (or
funnier) accent.

Elliot Richmond
PhD candidate in science education
University of Texas at Austin