Agreed Ian, "punters" is universal term of affection in the west-M8 belt!

In a double blinded randomised trial in 1996 in RHSC Glasgow I compered tht
effect of box of Dunkin Donuts with an economy box of Quality Street and
palcebo (Tunnocks Caramel Wafers - nobody ever eats them) on staff moral.

Outcome measures were % time spent smiling whilst on duty (adjusted for
individual personality defects) and number of patients seen during an 8 hour
shift.

The Dunkin Donuts produced a 75% (95%CI 32% to 145%) increase in the time
spent smiling and a 23% (95%CI -2% to 41%) increase in the number of
patients seen.

The Quailty Street produced a 14% (95%CI -7% to 32%) increase in the time
spent smiling and a dissapointing 2% (95%CI -31% to 36%) increase in the
number of patients seen. (I'm thinking of repeating this with the toffey
fingers removed as I think the time spent chewing could be a factor here).

The Tunnocks Caramel Wafers (placebo) had to be withdrawn due to death
threats from the punters...er...I mean...staff.

Robbie Coull

email: [log in to unmask]             website: http://www.coull.net

DISCLAIMER AND CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
This document should only be read by those persons to whom it is addressed
and it is not intended to be relied upon by any person without subsequent
written confirmation of its contents. Accordingly the author disclaims all
responsibility and accepts no liability (including in negligence) for the
consequences of any person acting or refraining from acting on such
information prior to the receipt by those persons of subsequent written
confirmation.  This document may contain confidential information belonging
to the sender which is protected by the physician-patient privilege.
If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the author. Please
also destroy and delete the message from your computer. Any form of
unauthorised reproduction, dissemination, copying, disclosure, modification,
distribution and/or publication of this e-mail message is strictly
prohibited.