From: Joseph Beatus <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Date: 02 January 2001 14:33
Subject: Re: Pushers' syndrome

Hi.sorry about the late response. wonderful study : Hans-Otto Karnath et al: The Neural Representation of Postural Control in Humans. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. vol. 97, Issue 25 Dec. 5 2000. Available free online PNAS. also, I recently ran across a study re vestibular representation  (in thalamus & cortex). Insight doesn't always mean therapy intervention. However, many of the techniques employed in the clinic are all too "cognitive" Best wishes. Joe
Hi to all,
A query for those involved in neurorehab!
An increasing number of stroke patients referred to me are Pushers.  A number of searches made earlier on unfortunately brought up scant info on this syndrome.  (look up gegenhalten)
Am I right in assuming this to be a relatively new phenomenon and partially dependant on positioning or postures induced during rehab? (no)
I am slowly acquiring experience in dealing with these patients but I am interested in obtaining any relevant literature in order to understand the real goings on.  good luck.
Any assistance is appreciated!
Regards,
Antonella Muscat