From: [log in to unmask]>alistair grant
To: [log in to unmask]>[log in to unmask]
Sent: Wednesday, January 31, 2001 3:49 AM
Subject: Re: Validity of Therapies & Politics?

For those interested in a slightly more scientific approach to the ‘politics of religion’ Maltby J et al. Religious orientation and psychological well-being: The role of the frequency of personal prayer. Br J Health Psychol 1999;4,363-378. is a somewhat non-mainstream but entertaining research paper.

The conclusion of this research which investigated measures of religious orientation, depressive symptoms, anxiety and self-esteem traits in 474 UK students was that frequency of prayer and psychological well-being may be related, measures of ‘religoisity’ and psychological well-being may be related and frequency of prayer may be an important coping strategy.

The paper used multiple regression analysis and unfortunately gives only limited statistical data to uphold the validity of treatment effect however it is still work a look- regardless of political and religious persuasion!

Perhaps the ’W’ has something after all …..

Alistair Grant

Institute of Public Health

University of Cambridge