TO: Marco Schuurmans Stekhoven <[log in to unmask]>

Dear Marco, thank you. I think you found very correct words --
"physiological balance". Most likely, I kept them in mind when was writing
about homeostasis.

The "balance" word has, as I know, two main senses in English: (1) a
weighing tool; (2) an equilibrium. Probably, "physiological balance" in the
former sense is simply our organism keen to a maximally possible
homeostasis, and equilibrating its own defensive/compensatory potentials
with potentially dangerous disturbances. In the second sense, "physiological
balance" is a state of relative equilibrium between dangerous (for the
organism) and defensive/compensatory processes. This equilibrium is relative
but relatively steady. And it is homeostasis.

This equilibrium is not, of course, something absolute and unchangable. Both
bowls of the organism's weigher are not nailed to the table! They are
constantly oscillating but the weigher's indicator is constantly tending to
zero (if the organism has yet compensatory potentials; we do not consider
here cases from reanimation practice).

I think the above "theoretical" considerations have direct relation to
organisms of our patients. They all have a definite state of homeostasis:
one state is relatively worse, another state -- relatively better... Anyhow,
we must remember that a maximally possible homeostasis is the most steady
state of the body. Accordingly -- the most healthy (the case of death steady
state is certainly out of our consideration). Consequently, we must simply
drag our patient to his/her optimal homeostasis.

All the best. And my apologies to those readers who tend to sleep reading
this.

Stanislav.

Stanislav A. Korobov, MD, PhD
Physician-Physiotherapist