Dear Herb

You have made several very interesting points and I would like to discuss
them in order.

1  Your opening comments relate to the inability of case studies to give
generiseable results with regard to the larger population. If people think
there is safety in large population groups, which may or may not be
homogenous, attempting to analyse a single variable, this would be true.
However some very large RCT's have made some blisteringly bad conclusions,
eg philidimide (sorry for the appaling spelling.) Some mignt say smaller
numbers analysed more closely and in detail might tell us more.

There are semi'statisticial analysis of SSED eg auto lag coefficient, two
band standard deviation, etc; see Ottenbacher. Another possiblity is to do
lots of SSED's for generiseable data. I heard some years ago the private
practionner group in the UK were planning a 3000 strong SSED experiment.
  Therefore I do not agree with your judgments with regard to the weaknesses
of SSED's.

2  Your second point regarding the flu is true of every piece of research
one can conduct. IE (not a shout just the start of a sentence) did we change
what is wrong or was it a peripheral sigh, placebo, passage of time etc.
This dilema is true of all research and not peculiar for single case
studies. People take comfort from the statistical analysis from RCT's which
has flaws, but as stated above SSED's can generate statistical information.

3 I am not sure what your 10 cases of your 'eclectic intervention' as
opposed to another therapist would tell us. The information gained would
only tell us that in those circumstance one had 'triumphed' over the other.
The problems with our profession is we tend only to see our successes, not
our failures who go to other people. On what basis are you 'sure' you would
have cured the fwo failures. Remember will all need self belief to practice
but as Sir Lawrence Oliveer once said ' you learn more about your
performance from the critics than the plaudits'. Also using your own
arguments regarding single case studies why would these 10 cases give
meaningful data when other SSED's don't?.

I hope this has not come across as confrontational. I always enjoy your
input and you are clearly anexperienced and talented therapist. So
absolutely no disrespect is intended, only discussion.

Warm Regards Kevin

PS Sood are we going to get an update yet ?