Dear Sinisa Poznic:
One of my areas of research is on knee instability, and much of my
clinical practice relates to knee injuries. I would recommend, if you are
considering a research or clinical study, to focus on a specific
diagnostic group that is reasonably well defined. A subjective sense of
knee instability can arise from meniscal, ligamentous, or articular
injury. In addition, some people have hyperextension or flexion "giving
way" with or without any apparent intrinsic pathology.

The literature I am aware of indicates that muscular activation can
control (but not eliminate) translation in an anterior-posterior
direction, and flexion-extension rotation.
See
 MacWilliams BA. Wilson DR. DesJardins JD. Romero J. Chao EY. Hamstrings
cocontraction reduces internal rotation, anterior translation, and
anterior cruciate ligament load in weight-bearing flexion. Journal of Orthopaedic
Research. 17(6):817-22, 1999

Liu W, Maitland ME.  The effect of hamstring muscle forces on instability
of the ACL-deficient knee during gait.  Journal of Biomechanics
2000;33:871-879.

The literature appears to show that rotation in a valgus varus plane is
less well controlled by muscular activation.

I would enjoy hearing more about your study.

Yours sincerely,

Murray

On Sat, 6 Jan 2001, Sinisa Poznic wrote:

> Dear members of [log in to unmask]
>
> I am working on a study of knee stabilization program. So, if you know some interesting things about that issue, please contact me. I am trying to collect references about knee stabilization, also. So, if anybody has some good references about that, please contact me.
> I finished basic (1+2) PNF course last year and I found it very effective for knee stabilization.
>
> Sinisa Poznic
> Public Hospital "St. Ghost" 64
> Clinic for physical therapy and reumatology
> (Physical therapy for knee and ankle joint)
> Zagreb, Croatia

Murray Maitland PhD PT
Associate Professor and Physical Therapist
Faculty of Kinesiology
Sport Medicine Centre
University of Calgary

2500 University Drive NW