Dear Chris,

There was a discussion of this over on Medtextl last summer I think.  You
might check their archives.  As I remember, the practice of using rose
petals for prayer beads started in the East (India?) and gradually moved
west.  Karen Reeds discussed a lecture she had heard in which the lecturer
had passed out rose petal beads that he had made from medieval recipes.
Sorry I can't be more specific, but do check the archives.  A reference,
which I haven't seen but that might prove helpful, is M. Chery, *Histoire
generale du rosaire et de sa confrerie* (1869).

Regards,
Clint Atchley

Dr. Clinton Atchley
Department of English