Dear Chris,
I don't know if this fits into the category of "sacramental objects" placed
over doors and windows in which you are interested, but there is a sermon
by Atto of Vercelli (1st half of the 10th century) in which he complains of
the custom practiced by "little trollops" (meretriculae) in his diocese of
baptizing branches and turves (and hence calling them - it is not clear
whom- coparents), hanging them in their houses and afterwards guarding them
assiduously "quasi religionis causa".
Bernadette Giguere