The following call for papers was passed on by Patricia Allerston.
Although outside our period, it may still be of interest.

Apologies to those of you who have received this information already.

Best wishes,

Rupert

Commodifying Everything:
Consumption and Capitalist Enterprise

The Center for the History of Business, Technology, and Society invites
paper proposals for the conference, "Commodifying Everything:
Consumption and Capitalist Enterprise" at the Hagley Museum and Library
in Wilmington, Delaware on October 12 and 13, 2001. Paper proposals
should focus on historical processes of commodification since c. 1700,
especially the spread of the market to new areas of social and material
life and the spatial dispersion of consumption on a market model
throughout the world. We encourage a broad definition of consumption
that encompasses material goods, experience, services, and information,
and we hope to stimulate interaction among scholars exploring these
aspects of consumption. Proposals may consider themes such as identify,
performance, and design if they connect to issues of market relations.

Proposals are due by February 16, 2001 and should include an abstract of
no more than 500 words and a brief c.v. Funds may be available to
support travel to the conference by speakers. Please direct proposals
and queries to:

Dr. Roger Horowitz, Associate Director
Center for the History of Business, Technology, and Society
Hagley Museum and Library
PO Box 3630
Wilmington DE 19807
email: [log in to unmask]; direct fax: 302-655-3188

Rupert Shepherd
Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Material Renaissance Project
Sussex Centre for Research in the History of Art
University of Sussex
Falmer, Brighton BN1 9QN, UK
Tel. +44 (0)1273 872544
http://www.sussex.ac.uk/Units/arthist/matren/