On Tue, 2 Jan 2001, Giorgio Scherl wrote:

> that is a good point but i'm personally more interested where users come
> from. as long as whois databases are the primary source we will indeed have
> to deal with major holes. does anybody have an idea how AOL maintains their
> IP address space? would a company like AOL be willing to share the knowledge
> about their geographic ip address space distribution?

AOL proxies their dialup connections for reasons which are beyond my
understanding.  You can get an address from the same /24 whether dialing
into San Jose or Boston.  I can think of a lot of problems with that
arrangement, and the only benefit I see is a privacy issue, which I'd have
a hard time thinking AOL would be interested in.

Thoughts?

No one has mentioned quova.com as a commercial source.  They're pricey for
some value of the term, with stiff monthly minimum pricing and per-query
charges.

--- David