Dick Chase schrieb:
> The phrase "Orthotectonic Caledonides of Scotland" sent me to my
> "Glossary of Geology" to see what orthotectonics meant.

> I then looked up "Orthogeosyncline" and found it to be "A geosyncline
> between volcanic and continental cratons, containing both volcanic
> (eugeosynclinal) and non volcanic (miogeosynclinal) belts (Stille,
> 1935, pp. 77-97).
> I feel uneasy about use of the prefix "ortho" in
> the orthotectonics if it is meant to refer to the  concept  of
> orthogeosyncline" which has disappeared from the modern literature.
> Can anyone enlighten me with a more up to date definition of
> "orthotectonics"?

Oh boy. An orthogeosyncline is Hans Stille's preferred type of geosyncline,
nothing else. And Hans Stille has been dead for many years. And a geosyncline is
an obsolete concept. It was a concept that was developed before the discovery of
plate margins.

Deign the entire concept with benign neglect, and read a book like Moores &
Twiss or something. But do not embarrass your German colleagues by mentioning
Stille or his musings.

And someone might suggest to the glossary compilers to purge their tomes.

Falk Koenemann

|  Dr. Falk H. Koenemann                             Aachen, Germany  |
|  Email: [log in to unmask]                 Phone: *49-241-75885  |
|  stress  elasticity   deformation of solids   plasticity    strain  |