 Sandeep,
I have done lots of SEM work on Triassic tuffs from the Southern Alps
(Austria & Italy). The rhyolitic tuffs contain many zircons. Some of them
show spongy texture and various etching features. The backscattered image of
the SEM could also see  Zr- and Y-rich clouds around altered zircons. The
tuffs are altered by burial diagenesis und may be a postdepositional
hydrothermal event.

See also:
Obenholzner, J. H. & Heiken, G.: Textural studies of altered/metamorphosed
tuiffs and secondary REE,-, Zr- and Y-minerals. Annalen des
Naturhistorischen Museums in Wien, 100A, 13-38, Vienna 1999.

There is also an abstract at AGU Spring meeting 2000.

best wishes
Johannes H. Obenholzner
NHM-Mineralogie
Postfach 417