Martina,

Finally, an acknowledgement that the global economic dictatorship is of
direct concern to people with disabilities.  Thank you. It is of concern
because, as Martina says, we are dispropotionally affected by this global
exploitation exercise, but also because to have the economic applied to
every aspect of life as its prime, or even only worthwhile pursuit,
devalues human nature as nothing more than consumerism.  Besides, so many
people with disabilities can never be a 'valued consumer', or for that
matter a 'producer' in this worldview because of their lack of
opportunities to gain the wherewithal to become a sought after employee,
have adequate finances and therefore have few consumer choices they can
make.  Therefore they are seen and treated as less than human.  They
often are treated as commodities in the disability service industry where
some individuals and groups of people with disabilities try to save
themselves by referring to themselves as consumers (widespread in
Australia), hoping for equal status with other consumers.  This is of
course a self-defeating exercise as it plays into the hands of the very
worldview that keeps them poor, vulnerable and with small prospects for
inclusion in any society that would accept people for their intrinsic
human value. The concepts of interdependence and interconnectedness
(relationships) apply as much to ameliorative approaches in environmental
and broader social inequality issues as they should to disability issues.
Martina's reminder of the connection between globalization and disability
issues leads us to demand more than inclusion in society.  Disability
perspectives, along with those of other marginalised groups, can
contribute to broad cultural change.

Erik Leipoldt

> My dearest Colleagues,
>
>      I have created a Listserve dealing with the subject
> of 'Globalization and the Disabled Community'. For those of you
> unfamiliar with the topic, Global organizations (i.e. The World Trade
> Organization)now have the power to declare any country's laws to be
> unfavorable to trade, which invalidates them. The WTO has its
> own 'Court', and it has more power than our own Government. You may
> have heard about large mobilizations in Seattle, Washington and
> Washington D.C.. People from different communities came together to
> oppose the privatization of health care, education, and other vital
> human neccessities (in some cases this includes water, seeds, and
> food).
>
>      I was in Washington D.C. on 16 April 2000 at the protest of the
> International Monetary Fund (IMF). I saw Gay people, Union
> Organizers, Femininst, and every other constituency. However, Where
> was our representation in this event? There was none, because 'we'
> didn't come to it.
>
>      Globalization will affect us disproportionally, because we were
> mostly poor and at least somewhat reliant upon social programs
> (please note, I am not casting aspersions on persons who recieve help
> from government or state programs; These programs make it possible
> for me to attend Graduate school and get out of bed.). And
> Furthermore, Shouldn't we be concerned about disabled people in other
> parts of the world? How can any country sustain a fledgling
> disablility rights movement when it doesn't have the health care
> infrastructure to keep disabled people healthy, independent, and
> alive. From a purely American perspective, as well, we need to
> realize that the laws which have been fought for by disabled people
> for many years can also be attacked or repealed as unfair barriers to
> trade or competition, after all, How can an American company be
> expected to compete with a Latin American or European country shich
> doesn't have to install ramps in their stores, or accomodate their
> employees with disabilities. Can't you see the corporations 'eating
> this one up'?
>
>     The whole reason that I started this Listserve is that there is a
> major mobilization occuring in Quebec City, Canada on 20 - 22 April
> 2001. The purpose of the mobilization is to bring attention to the
> FTAA (Free Trade Area of the Americas)Agreement, if this is passed it
> will extend the North American Free Trade Agreement to every country
> in the Western Hemisphere (except for CUBA). According to research
> done by major academics (citations provided upon request), NAFTA has
> produced great difficulty for disabled persons in Mexico. If you
> cannot go to Quebec City, solidarity actions will occur throughout
> the country.
>
>      Even if you are not interested in attending or supporting this
> mobilization, please consider joining this Listserve to become
> [...]

are now located at: