Dear All,

In December last year, a public TV station in Japan called NHK
ran a programme entitled "My Life, Supported by Hi-Tech;
New Disability Policy in U.S", focusing on new work
opportunies with new high-technology.
It emphasized, repeating three time, that the employment situation has
improved $B!! (Bwith ADA and the number of disabled workers tripled
after ADA.

I was in touch with producer and asked the source for
this figure, which was very impressive.
According to the producer, pre-ADA figure
quoted by drafters of ADA was 4.7 million and now the official figure is
14 million, hence triple.  If this is the case, ADA
approach in the employment is truly working
even with the good U.S. economy.
On the other hand, I remember some not so positive
comments about ADA particularly regarding employment.

Japan has been adopting the quota system
and if non-discrimination approach, including ADA, is found
to be more effective, there might be a policy change in the future.

Your comments and suggestions are most welcome.

NAGASE Osamu

are now located at: