I'm afraid this is one of those "stick it into Description" answers. There
is no specific DC data element that represents frequency of publication. In
the DC Citation WG's recommendations, you can say in which month a
particular issue is published (in the Chronology piece of the text string),
and if you use a SICI in the Identifier field, you can infer the same
thing, but what you can't say in either the DC-Citation string or the SICI
is that the journal is published monthly. Therefore, a Chronology of "May"
or "05" only tells you that the issue is a May issue - you'd have to look
at the record for the previous and next issues to divine whether that made
it a monthly or whatever.

Doesn't this stem from DC's origins as a resource-discovery metadata set?
It never was meant to cover everything you might want to say about a
resource, and I don't think frequency of publication is a core *discovery*
field.

Regards

Cliff Morgan

Berthold Weiss <[log in to unmask]>@JISCMAIL.AC.UK> on 19/01/2001 14:35:38

Please respond to Berthold Weiss <[log in to unmask]>

Sent by:  The broadest of mailing lists related to the international Dublin
      Core effo <[log in to unmask]>