Anne Gray asked me to forward this to the list on her behalf.

Pete

*************************

> From: anne.gray <[log in to unmask]>
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: LEPU and workfare; reply to P. Treanor
> Date: 24 January 2001 20:21
>
>  I feel considerably insulted by Paul Treanor's about the LEPU seminar on
> employment zones. Perhaps he should become better informed about who's
> writing what and for whom in the UK debates about social security and
> workfare, before posting comments like this to a public list.
>
> First of all, Martin Jones, whose name appears on the programme, is well
> known as a critic of workfare type policies. See for example his work in
> Regional Studies, in publications of the Unemployment Unit, in Critical
> Social Policy and Environment and Planning.
>
> As for me, also billed as a speaker as well as the chair of the event, I
> thought I had been writing and publishing in that same vein for at least
> five years. Mr. Treanor is obviously not a reader of Capital and Class or
> of Local Economy. As he says, he is  not familiar with the politics of
> specific academic institutions in
> Britain. If he had been, he might have noticed various conference papers
> have given in the last two years. One, to the European Sociological
> Association conference in Amsterdam in 1999 (on the general theme of
> workfare compared to slavery), might even have crossed Mr. Treanor's
path
> nearer to home.
>
> I am familiar with the web site of the Haringey Solidarity Group. And
> indeed much of my recent research material comes from working with
> unemployed people's centres. The EU project on which I'm working is
> intended to research the claimant's viewpoint on social protection and
> `welfare to work' systems.
>
> Yes, it is regrettable that our system of fees for seminars keeps out the
> unemployed. It is derived from the university's financial systems over
> which I have no control.
>
> Not being a member of the Critical Geography list, I am asking Pete North
> to post this on my behalf, because I think I deserve a right of reply

Note from Pete:

Actually Anne is being too polite.  LEPU  do cross subsidise
community groups and individuals who have stories to tell on our
seminars from the institutional players.  I often have activists
speaking and contributing from the floor at my seminars...........

Peter North
Local Economy Policy Unit
South Bank University, London
Tel: 020 7815-7706