----- Original Message -----
From: <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Sunday, January 07, 2001 6:17 AM
Subject: Re: Using injury data for violence prevention

> > These two views are completely contradictory! A compulsory blood alcohol
> >  assessment system would clearly be State authorised, and our
departments
> >  would then no longer be seen as independent. With this type of system
many
> >  patients would then steer clear of A&E departments leading to the very
> >  compromise in care that you allude to.

As I understand it, any RTA which the Police are aware of (which includes
all significant injuries or to which an ambulance has been called) they will
automatically request a blood sample. Their breathalysers are not sufficient
for bringing a prosecution. The only difficulties are that we usually have
to wait until all medical interventions are finished, and occasionally get
no chance to perform a sample.

I am occasionally in the situation where I have been with an entrapped
individual for an hour at the roadside, and then have to turn around and do
a sample of blood as a police surgeon.

I don't really see it as a conflict - as accident prevention and treatment
are all part of the same spectrum.

> We are comparing different entities here, individual assaults on the
person
> and driving while not fit. In the UK we are seen as a confidential source
of
> assistance and I would not wish to compromise this, however we are already
> compelled to provide information regarding motor vehicle accidents on
> request. Either the public do not know this or accept it.
>
> The Australian public hold "drink driving" in a different light to
assaults.
> They are far less sympathetic to the argument frequently offered here that
> the person injured in a vehicle accident "is not fit" for testing.
Everybody,
> even when not injured, gets blood tested or breathalysed and blood is
taken
> by nurses and doctors in the health care system rather than by Police
> Surgeons (for later testing). Nobody questions this and we were not aware
of
> anybody staying away or presenting late. The patients were aware that the
> State fined the medical carers if a sample was not taken.
>
> All is not black and white. We need to find some middle ground.
>
> Darren

I agree - after all all information can be requested by the courts - so we
are not as independant as we think. I would also be delighted for all blood
alcohol examinations to be taken by A&E doctors!

Jeremy (PFME Sussex Police)