As a paramedic I would never admit to breaking away from protocol. Lets me
say it this way - I have been aware of first viewed asystole being shocked on
many patients with a rhythm change afterward. Atropine has worked on patients
in slow EMD but not for very long. Precordial thumps do work in the middle of
ALS guidelines and not just at the beginning of witnessed monitored arrest
algorithm. I have even known transient ROSC being maintained with lignocaine
(once administered) and the rhythm was not VT.
But I, as a paramedic would never contemplate doing such things as I work to
strict protocols and am not seemed to be the 'expert' in such scenarios.

Mike Bjarkoy