My point was based on this remark you made, Adrian:

>Your idea may work in a rural environment, but "dashing" to work for
>critical cases doesn't work very well in London. The surgeons can get away
>with it but the A&E staff would miss the boat. Also you've quoted papers
>about surgeons' performance, but they all examine "in-house" surgeons.

Living 30 to 40 minutes from the workplace is what helps the  Government push for Consultants being resident on call and that is not at
all a good idea as I show below. You can't have it both ways. You cannot say that the service is not available because "you would miss
the boat" and then that London Consultants (not specifically you) live too far away to be useful. I agree absolutely with Phil that we
need to be there - or, at the very least, have a proxy who works to our teaching and system such as a competent and well trained staff
grade. I state quite clearly that the buck stops with me for the trauma care of a patient until I have formally handed over to the admitting
team. If we went to being resident on call we would be back at the 6 Consultant department stage, with the dilution in experience per
doctor I originally flagged concern about. This is because the Working Time Directive would ensure that we got time off after a night on
call. I do not need to be available (or on the shop floor) at night to deal with the ankles and the drunks. I do need to be contactable. I do
have to be there for a small but easily-defined group of patients as and when required.

PS Did you know 'polemos' means war? 8-)

Best wishes,

Rowley Cottingham