Forward from the editor of the Psychologist:

Dear all,

I would be very interested in hearing your views on The Psychologist, the
official monthly publication of The British Psychological Society. We
currently have no information about what people think of the magazine, and
any comments will therefore be very helpful in guiding future policy.

If you receive The Psychologist, please take a few minutes to fill in
answers to the 20 questions below or delete the options that don't apply,
and e-mail this back to [log in to unmask] I would appreciate your

Overall

1) Do you read The Psychologist:

a) In detail
b) Skip through it
c) Don't read it at all

2) If you answered c), why don't you read it?

a) No time
b) It's not interesting
c) Not relevant to what I do
d) Other (please specify)

Student research digest:

We are considering funding a quarterly A5 digest of recent research to send
out to student members, and would welcome your views.

3) Would you welcome a quarterly digest of recent research aimed primarily
at a student audience?

a) Yes
b) No
e) No opinion

4) If you are a student, would such a digest encourage you to remain
involved in psychology after graduation?

a) Yes
b) No
c) Not sure

The look

5) Do you think the cover designs are:

a) Excellent
b) Good
c) Average
d) Poor
e) Very poor
f) No opinion

Any comments:

6) Do you think the illustrations are:

a) Excellent
b) Good
c) Average
d) Poor
e) Very poor
f) No opinion

Any comments:

Different sections:

7) Do you think the articles are:

a) Excellent
b) Good
c) Average
d) Poor
e) Very poor
f) No opinion

Any comments:

8) Do you think the President's Column is:

a) Excellent
b) Good
c) Average
d) Poor
e) Very poor
f) No opinion

Any comments:

9) Do you think the news section is:

a) Excellent
b) Good
c) Average
d) Poor
e) Very poor
f) No opinion

Any comments:

10) Do you think the letters page is:

a) Excellent
b) Good
c) Average
d) Poor
e) Very poor
f) No opinion

Any comments:

11) Do you think the conference reports are:

a) Excellent
b) Good
c) Average
d) Poor
e) Very poor
f) No opinion

Any comments:

12) Do you think the 'Research in Brief' section is:

a) Excellent
b) Good
c) Average
d) Poor
e) Very poor
f) No opinion

Any comments:

13) Do you think the students page is:

a) Excellent
b) Good
c) Average
d) Poor
e) Very poor
f) No opinion

Any comments:

14) Do you think the Society section is:

a) Excellent
b) Good
c) Average
d) Poor
e) Very poor
f) No opinion

Any comments:

15) Do you think the Media watch section is:

a) Excellent
b) Good
c) Average
d) Poor
e) Very poor
f) No opinion

Any comments:

New formats:

16) Do you think the 'news analysis' articles (see Jan and Feb 2001) are:

a) Excellent
b) Good
c) Average
d) Poor
e) Very poor
f) No opinion

Any comments:

17) Do you think the 'head to head' debates (see Dec and Jan) are:

a) Excellent
b) Good
c) Average
d) Poor
e) Very poor
f) No opinion

Any comments

And finally...

18) What would you like to see more of in The Psychologist (for example
peer commentaries, special issues, longer articles, shorter articles etc)?

19) What would you like to see less of in The Psychologist?

20) Overall, do you think The Psychologist is:

a) Excellent
b) Good
c) Average
d) Poor
e) Very poor
f) No opinion

Any comments:

Thanks very much for your help. Your responses will influence future
editorial policy to improve the publication. Please also remember that The
Psychologist is YOUR publication: your submissions are always welcome.
Guidelines and a writing guide are available at
www.bps.org.uk/publications/thepsychologist.cfm

Best wishes,

Dr Jon Sutton
Editor