Dear Claire,

here are a few ideas:

For sheep-size skeletons you can use wooden wine-boxes. These may be available very cheaply or even free of charge from a posh wine store, but you will need to repair the lids. If you attach a brass handle, they can become drawers when placed on metal shelving (eg Dexion shelves or whatever they are called these days). This, however, requires some basic carpentry skills!

For rodents etc - use office furniture - I use the small metal cabinets used for storing paper. These are usually reasonably priced.

For medium-sized skeletons you can buy Dexion-style (I suspect these are sold under various brand names) drawers but are fairly costly. If you have thousands of pounds to spare you can buy Swiss tool-chest cabinets. Mezzanine Floors (they are, or used to be, in Bournemouth or Poole). Tool chests might be a good option and have the advantage of being both robust and easy to open/close.

If you are very short of cash you can use shoe boxes - the best come from the very up-market shops.

For containers, you are best advised to purchase in bulk from Stewart Plastics (e-mail: [log in to unmask]). Their web site is www.Stewartcompany.co.uk

Hope some of this helps, do not hesitate to contact me for further advice (I now have over 30 years experience setting up reference collections in different parts of the Old World)

simon